Saturday, September 20, 2008

6 weeks in...

I've been meaning to start this blog to share some stories and naunces in the life here that you won't see in photos. I've been here six weeks now and it's been a very interesting experience so far and I highly recommend to anyone that has the chance to live abroad (and especially outside of the US) to do it!



*** Update*** Sometimes life as a foreigner is very challenging. It can be lonely, isolating, and you will feel like an alien. It can be very frustrating and you just want to cry. You will question everything about yourself, your life and your very being. Today I had to really force myself to turn my frown upside down, because in the end, I know it will all be worth it.



For a long time now, I have envied people who grew up bi-lingual. Without a doubt, the second language of Texas is Spanish!!! So here I am struggling and struggling to learn this second language and when it's just handed to you because you learned it growing up-- that is a priceless gift!!! I want to have this gift to give to my children because I think it's muy importante.




Well after reading Dave's blog http://www.discoverbuenosaires.com/, I'm feeling a bit inadequate- he has some funny stories and some great observations on there. My observations tend to be a bit negative, so sorry for that. There certainly are a lot of cultural differences!!





These are all probably rash generalizations, but hey it's my opinion and my blog.





So I've noticed that the guys here are definitely NOT falling into the category of metrosexual. The style seems to be unkempt long hair and big time 5 o'clock shadows. I guess unless you're an ultra professional, shaving is not required for most jobs. Well it's been disappointing for me to say the least. Every once and awhile I'll spot a very well groomed hottie on the subte (subway) but it is few and far between. My love life has not been all that great- ok almost non-existant. While the overall percentage of latin men should be in my favor, it's still hard to find a professional single guy in his 30's.




Other things I've noticed...

People here talk for hours on end. I just don't quite get it... I have time to kill, but at the same time, I get tired of just sitting around and talking. I need to get up and move around and sometimes I just need to be alone. I recall being at the Venezuelan parties with Ivan and it was the same thing... they would just talk and talk and talk all day and into the night. I would get tired at some point and either want go to sleep or go home.


Smoking. Its terrible. I can't stand it sometimes. People here smoke while walking down the street, while riding a bike (saw this for this first time today!), getting off/on the subway, in the car, in clubs, everywhere and anywhere they can. Sometimes when I'm walking down the street and inhaling someone's smoke that is walking in front of me, I just want to slap the cigarette out of their hand and say, no! it's so bad for you! Being a former social smoker myself, you would think I'd be a little more tolerant, but I just can't take it sometimes. My asthma here is worse than ever because of all the dust in my building, and the last thing I need is to inhale second hand smoke.


And last but not least.... I've realized just how sensitive I am to the weather. I already knew I can't handle a cold climate after living in NYC. But now I know that I really have little tolerance for cold weather at all. Before I came in August, I thought that the winter here was similar to Houston - very mild. Well it is and it isn't. Most days here are around 60 degrees in the winter which is not really that cold, but it's very consistently cold and then throw in the wind chill from the river nearby and it's cold. Nights average 40-50 degrees, which doesn't entice me to want to go out much. The wintery weather has been dragging on, and it just officially turned spring on the calendar, and apparently, spring is going by the calendar! It's still very brisk! Houston really has a wonderful winter! The weather fluctuates often, and so we'll have a few days of cold when a cold front blows in, but then it's back to warm and nice after a few days! I heart Houston winters!!!!


Chau for now...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, what is a typical day for you? From the time you get up to the time you go to sleep. Do you have an agenda or do you just wing-it.

RSR

Lilly said...

I have private spanish classes Monday- Friday from 1-5pm. Normally I get up around 8:30 or 9am and take Lola to the park and every other day I go for a brisk walk with her as my workout. I want to run, but my right knee has been bugging me lately so for now, I'm just doing the brisk walk and I walk 9 blocks to the subte and back, so I'm getting lots of exercise from all the walking I'm doing in general. This is a very pedestrian city...unlike Houston.