Saturday, October 11, 2008

el amor

I think BA could give Paris a run for it´s money as the most romantic city because everywhere you look couples are making out in public. I mean full on french kissing in the light of day. I have seen couples kissing on the platform while waiting for the subway, while riding in the subway, while waiting at the cargo area at the airport, of course in the clubs where in the dark a lot more can happen and one of the best ones- in front of a church one morning. I myself have french kissed someone in a cafe and on a crowded bus and full-on laid down on a couch making out at a lounge--oh yeah! There is no shame in making out in public and I´m all for it! A lot of it stems from the fact that young people here tend to live with their parents for quite some time and so they have no place to go when they want to get it on. There are "telos"- or sex motels, which you can rent by the hour or for the night.

While on this subject, things have changed for me and I met a very studly and sweet Brazilian man. He´s living in BA for 4 years while attending med school and speaks some English but we mainly communicate in Spanish. I think that this works better for me than the Argentines-- there´s just something about the Argentines-- maybe it´s the unfaithfulness or the language barrier still-- but i don´t see it happening. At least with my BZ man, he´s a foreigner too so we can relate on that level and he´s patient with me in Spanish. So we´ll see how things go...

Chau for now...

2 comments:

bill said...

I just want to correct something about the PDA level in BA. I've been here in Buenos Aires now for 7 months, and person occasionally sees a full on makeout session...like once every couple months.

The couples kissing on Subte are very very chaste and worried about what people think. I have never seen a completely oblivious couple getting going on the Subte car or platform.

In clubs it is no different, the Argentines kiss for just a minute or two and mostly just talk or cuddle or gaze. Really they don't carry on improperly in the USA sense. If they were I'd be making plans to stay in Buenos Aires longer rather than looking into the next place to the PDA epicenter, Paris.

Lilly said...

I agree it is usually innocent french kissing, but I disagree about the clubs. A lot more happens there. And I don't think i'd ever lay down on a couch and make out in the US in a fully lit lounge... it's definitely frownded upon there. Widely accepted here.